Thursday 4 August 2016

5th ANNIVERSARY GUEST BLOG 3, FOR THE BEST BY HEIDI JAMES


For the Best

I remember the puppies
Writhing in the sack
Eyes stuck shut
Front paws paddling
As if they’d hit
Water
Already.
They nuzzled the brick that accompanied them
As if it were their
Mother
Cassie, who paced
The kitchen, her claws tick tick tick on the lino
Searching. Searching.
I listened. Listened.
On the stairs, in my nightgown, chewing the end of my ponytail
It’s for the best, he said.
My mother, upstairs in her room, the lights off. The lights off.
Much later,
Years
When I was finally strong enough and taller than
He phoned with the news that
The doctors had switched off her machine.
Letting her go.
I had to decide, he said. You weren’t answering your phone, you never visit.
It’s for the best, he said.
It’s for the best.



from www.labelsandlabelling.com

No comments:

Post a Comment