Tuesday 14 March 2017

NEWS IS A BLACK DOG HUMPING MY LEG



   8.30 AM
 the cat pads across the quilt
   he puts a paw of claws
 gently into my cheek
  like its my  ON  button

 tick tock its injection o clock

       i say 
     i'm on it fella 
  it comes out as a morning growl
   he is patient
  he is used to waiting  for me 
      as i slowly 
     fall out 
    of my dreams

  i fold myself out the bed
 like a collapsing deckchair 
    i walk to the kitchen
  my legs like dry wood

     i puncture his scruff 
 with a needle again
      he is very good
     he is completely still
 and in the smudge of sun on the lino
  he is a wonderful black-brown today

      i realise he is part of me
       those kitten eyes at 17
          his neat paws
    part of our life and day

 i manage to brew a coffee
     i manage to check the news . . . 

 . . . i am back under the quilt
    wondering why the govt this
      and why the govt that
       and why i even looked
     and what did i exactly expect to find
            in the 
           phone screen
         poptart 
           headlines ?

    the black-brown cat
  has had a drink of filtered water
   had eaten his renal biscuits
       is padding up the quilt
        curling into a circle
    resting his back and warmth
     against the pain in my hips

 i rest a hand on his miniature shoulders

        i still find it a wonder
    that this little naked animal
       likes me so much
      
         soon he is snoring
  like apnea like asthma like a tractor
    no news needed



No comments:

Post a Comment