Monday 13 November 2017

I HAD INVITED THE BRAIN THIEF IN




the girl
in the novel
is 14
and
to the old mans 
gnarly offer 
of
confiscated
aged-in-the-keg 
double-rectified 
busthead from 
madison county
as
to
maybe help her 
maybe shift her cold
she says

i would not put 
a thief in my mouth
to steal my brains

her boxfresh eyes
seeing the truth of it
and
laying
clear
my 
old 
intentions
better than i ever did
in one hundred thousand poems 
of the liquid ballroom
and its urgent resupply

and i read on
keen
to hear
her wisdom
on what it was i should put in my mouth
to
aid
said brains
lawful return

cos lord knows 
id invited the brain thief inside
as often as dusk came 
and the day turned itself 
to purple shadow
and ego announcement

and
when
it
was
he
did
leave
he
didnt leave easy 
or empty handed



Image result for true grit book

from bleedingcool.com

No comments:

Post a Comment